Nervous and excited about life at Mines? Become a SWE mentee!
- Join a community of women at that is ready and waiting for you
- Establish invaluable connections with upperclass students to create a support network early in your college career
- Get the inside scoop on the school (and your major) from someone who’s been through it
- Take advantage of resources to help you adjust to and thrive at Mines!
This programs aims to:
- Provide a setting for women at Mines to feel comfortable with their peers, creating a sense of belonging.
- Combat problems facing women in STEM, such as impostor syndrome, lack of self-assurance (confidence to be assertive), and possible feelings of isolation.
- Create a community of women at Mines that is ready and waiting for incoming women, potentially becoming a draw for female students.
- Strengthen SWE as an organization by providing an outlet for more members to get involved in ways that relate to and benefit them specifically, ultimately resulting in higher rates of participation overall.
- Benefit incoming female students by providing them with the opportunity to establish connections and learn from upperclass women in their field through advice exchanged in a positive manner.
- The number of mentors/mentees varies depending on major, but the general guideline is 2-3 mentees per mentor.
- Pairings are based primarily on intended major, then narrowed down using other noted interests.
- Mentees are free to switch groups if need be.
- Since choosing a major can be daunting, there is no pressure for a mentee to remain in a group if she decides to switch majors. Her mentor and/or the organizers of the program will be happy to help her find a new group.
Paring & Logistics Timeline
Dates for Mentors:
- Application sent out 1 month before school begins.
- All applications received before the first day of school.
- Training about the program, featuring presentations from the Counseling Center and Title IX Office, will occur during the first 2 weeks of school.
Dates for Mentees:
- Signup sent out 2 weeks before first day of school.
- Signup closes at the end of the second week of school.
Once all signups have been received, SWE’s Executive Board will assign groups. Pairing are announced during the kickoff event, which occurs during the first week of September.
Calendar of Activities
- Career Fair/networking
- Sophomore year housing options
- Tips for academic success & confidence
- Communication & teamwork
- General community building
- Empowering others